Tuesday, June 28, 2005

the threat of becoming...




Can a man’s life be summed up in a matter weeks, days or months? The last 2 weeks of my life, has been so filled with the sublime and beautiful, weaved together with pain and sadness… I experienced the simple kindness of strangers and old friends; celebrated the marriage of my best friends; took in the beauty of my country and culture (it took the fresh ‘seeing’ eyes of my Californian friends to help me perceive KL anew…); wrestled with guilt and pain towards a dear companion…

How could one say there is no meaning in life? Being human is so pregnant with possibilities, feelings, layers of meaning… I find it so hard to take it all in, to streamline or smooth out the rough edges of human experience… to know that each human life is a unique story, lived in the particular, constrained by limitations and contingent events. Our lives are so horribly precarious, a hopelessly beautiful vulnerability… Laughing and crying, feasting and hunger; their place forever dignified (or deified in the terms of Orthodox spirituality) and invested with truthful meaning, through the historically conditioned, precarious life of Jesus of Nazareth… turning water into wine while celebrating a friend’s wedding, his enduring of every trial and temptation imaginable with much tears and cries, and his annihilation on the cross… the wideness and depth of human experience and suffering becomes the wideness and depth of the Father’s mercy and reconciliation…

I am and feel so painfully unfinished…but I do hear him say ‘Become…’.

6 Comments:

At 10:22 PM, Blogger Sivin Kit said...

amen ... Lord have mercy, Christ have mercy ...

 
At 6:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The threat in BECOMING is that of the trapeze artist who has to learn to let go at his end, and know that there will be hands to catch him in his full swing!

STAY with the joy and with the pain of each moment, cos the taste of real joy is BITTER SWEET. But the hardest moment is the one of learning to BEFRIEND the threat, and the pain!

Ride on oh wounded healer!

 
At 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our lives are so horribly precarious, I AGREE!! That is why like Peter walking on water, ... we must keep our eyes on Him and hear His open embraced, "COME".

I find the temptation for me is to often to turn to PEOPLE for consolation and comfort, when only He can help us become!

 
At 2:30 AM, Blogger discordant dude said...

beautiful...

 
At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey man, that's EXACTLY the same pic I added to my slides on Desertification!

"I paint my waterfalls in the desert"...

 
At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am still searching ... for the meaning of my life.. and the meaning of having Christ in my life.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home